1. We’re the real-deal and the UK’s authentic, original and longest established training company of its kind having been going since 1991 and the only UK business that has a wealth of expertise training explorers (laypeople) and expedition doctors (and med students and nurses). Wilderness Medical Training™ is a legally trademarked name.
2. We are expedition veterans; WMT’s 2 Directors alone have over 40 major expeditions to their credit – including the summit of Everest, first ascents in Greenland (in winter) and a diverse range of other expeditions all over the world in every environment.
3. WMT courses are taught by doctors and credible expedition professionals with huge amounts of expedition experience, occassionally supported by other expedition professionals. WMT events are fun and taught by interesting, engaging people! 11 of our team contributed to the Oxford Handbook of Expedition and Wilderness Medicine.
4. We do not teach first aid to laypeople. Our training goes beyond this. For example, on our foundation course – Far From Help – we teach about and authorise students to obtain prescription medications. On Advanced Medicine we also teach invasive techniques – stapling wounds and giving intramuscular injections.
5. Our courses are packed with a variety of teaching styles. They are demanding and comprehensive but you don’t need prior experience to attend any of our events except for Far From Help Part 2.
6. All courses are backed up by a comprehensive A5 sized field manual.
7. Our events for explorers meet or exceed the UK outdoor NGB requirements for first aid training (eg MLTUK, RYA, BCU etc). Note: The advanced skills that we teach are only for use abroad. Doctors can use our training towards their CPD requirements.
8. We offer a responsive service for private courses at a place and time to suit your needs and can claim an enviable list of recent clients including the BBC (Tribe, Frozen Planet and Human Planet teams), CASP, London Zoo, Hull and Leicester Universities, United World College (Singapore), King Edward 6th School, Armacell, Cicada, World Challenge Expeditions and the Royal Geographical Society.
9. For doctors and health professionals, we offer a suite of fantastic events held in the French Alps (Chamonix), Morocco and the UK.
10. We strive for a one-year lead time on our biggest courses held abroad so medics can plan ahead to attend a WMT event to fit into your travel schedule.